1914 – Present
The Beulah Grove Baptist Church (Augusta, GA) was founded in 1914 when it separated from the Mount Sinai Baptist Church and established on 15th Street. In the 1920’s, the Church relocated from 15th Street to its present location, 1434 Poplar Street.
Historically, Beulah Grove’s pastors have been:
1914-1924 (first pastor) Reverend John Henry Evans
1924-1931 (second pastor) Reverend Willie Weaver
1931-1931 (third pastor–recalled) Reverend John Henry Evans: Progress continued.
1931-1946 (fourth pastor) Reverend Oscar Calhoun Parker:
1946-1949 (fifth pastor) Reverend Stalling A. Jennings
1949-1969 (sixth pastor) Reverend B. I. Vernon
1970-1971(seventh pastor) Reverend Roosevelt Green:
1971-1972 (Pastoral Vacancy)
1972-1983 (eighth pastor) Reverend James R. Tate:
1983-1984 (Interim pastor) Reverend Walter Mackey
1984-Present (ninth pastor) Reverend Dr. Sam Davis
Inaugurating and proclaiming the Vision of “From the Cradle to the Grave,” with a mission statement of “Seek, Save, Support, Shape, Serve,” the Beulah Grove Baptist Church faithfully commits itself to the full manifestation of the kingdom vision for the church, its members and community while advancing herself toward becoming “A Church Without Walls.”
The Church expanded its evangelistic arms through multi-media efforts such as a website (www.beulahgrove.org), newspapers, radio and television broadcasts, social media and other evangelistic outreach media. To aid in this evangelistic effort, the church also produced musical recording projects: Unity in the House, Live at the Grove and “Jesus, My Rock” (CD/DVD single).
In the early 1990’s, the church established the 30901 Development Corporation and the Beulah Grove Community Resource Center – both of which are established to provide aggressive and efficient leadership to accomplish various components of the vision. Some of those components include self-sufficiency initiatives such as food and clothing banks, drug/alcohol abuse prevention, addressing juvenile delinquency issues, etc.; providing health care (medical center, community health education); support groups; community and economic development initiatives and more.
Through the efforts of the Resource Center, a six-week annual “Summer Explosion” education enrichment program was implemented for several school grades. Following their visit to the Beulah Grove campus, Mrs. Tipper Gore (wife of former Vice President Al Gore) and Mrs. Marie Barnes (wife of former Georgia Governor Roy Barnes), stated, “The center is a model that needs to be replicated across the country.” They further stated that Beulah Grove has put Augusta on the map and that they would be talking about the Center all over the country.Since 1984, many components of the vision were birthed and/or developed, including:
Since 1984, many components of the vision were birthed and/or developed, including:
- Lamar Medical Center established through the Beulah Grove Community Resource Center
- FaithView Estates (Single Family Housing units) established through the 30901 Development Corporation
- United Neighborhood Federal Credit Union (established in partnership with the Broadway Baptist Church, Augusta, GA)
- Sunday morning “A Church Without Walls” TV broadcast (WJBF Channel 6)
- Sunday morning “Request for Prayer” call-in line: 1-866-437-3446
- The “Building-of-Opportunity” which actualizes the Kingdom Kids Development Center (for ages 6 weeks to 4 years) and Kingdom Kids Christian Academy grade school, Children’s Church, Jacob’s Well Book Store, Vernon-Key Memorial Chapel, a banquet hall, a variety of classrooms, commercial kitchen, administrative suites, recording studio and much more.
- A full sound musical ensemble that was added to Sunday morning worships (7:45AM and 10:45AM)
- Numerous Bible study classes, seminars, retreats, and workshops that comprise the ever expanding spiritual growth and development opportunities for the church and community.
- A comprehensive Christian Education Ministry with Bible Studies, a Teachers Academy, a training course for deacons and trustees, an added members orientation and quarterly Ministry and Membership Development workshops.
- The publication of a monthly church news bulletin and a quarterly church newspaper (The Grove).
The creation of a unified church logo
- The implementation of a Church Unity Sunday held each fifth Sunday.
- Much like the previous Beulah Grove Pastors, Pastor Davis appointed several Deacons and Trustees over the years. He has also licensed and ordained persons into the preaching ministry — many of whom have gone on to serve and/or pastor at other churches around the country.
- The Beulah Grove Baptist Church has always stood at the forefront of service to the community. Its history is rich with many men and women who have responded to the call to serve. God has moved in a mighty way to work through this church and others to develop ministries of helps and service. The church today has grown and expanded and an outpouring of the Holy Spirit has given Beulah Grove a committed group of church leaders, lay persons and others to minister to the needs (spiritual, emotional, physical and mental) of the church family and the community.
The vision of the Beulah Grove Baptist Church embraces a rich and an abundant life for all its members both now and in the days to come. Amen!